Join Senior Planner Andrew Patterson as he reveals how his career in planning began.
Andrew Patterson – Senior Planner
Studied English lit, history, design, psychology and urban and regional planning over many years.
First job was consulting to City of Canning to assist with various tasks including preparation of Local Planning Strategy and precinct planning.
- Worked with the then senior planner, Thor Farnworth, who has remained a friend and mentor.
Second job working at town of port hedland (3 years).
- Loved living in Hedland, especially the landscape and social life
- Became involved in the local triathlon club that led to a new passion for cycling
Through contact with TBB (mainly Roger, Mark, and Rachel) eventually moved back to Perth.
Biggest passion is for cycling:
- Compete at A grade in Masters and B grade Open (but looking to break into A grade in 2012)
- Coached by Brad Hall (who rides for Plan B on the National Road Series)
- Combined commuting, training, and racing usually adds to 400km per week
- Qualified and raced in the UCI world cycling tour in Belgium this year (poor result due to injury).
- Spent 3 weeks cycling Italian and French Alps earlier this year
Other interests include scuba.
- Dived Bali and Borneo (Sipidan and Mabul Island) last year
- Also dive locally – Ammo Jetty, Rotto, HMAS Swan (Busselton)
- Completed 2 half ironman and would like to complete full ironman in the near future
- Also work as a spin/RPM instructor, mostly for personal enjoyment and social aspect
- See the core focus of planning as looking for opportunities to make places better
- Enjoy policy development and report writing
- Particularly enjoy the multi-disciplinary aspects of the profession and broadening knowledge base – especially into technical aspects
[reus id=”219″ meta=””]