28 Mar 2014
Koombana North is DevelopmentWA's (previously LandCorp) latest development as part of the Bunbury Waterfront project area. The Waterfront area was transformed in the mid 1990s and early 2000s, with the redevelopment of Marlston Hill area, which featured the creation of some waterfront commercial mixed use medium density and the gentrification of existing historic housing stock, breathing new life into the Bunbury Town Centre.
Taylor Burrell Barnett has continued its long association with DevelopmentWA in planning for and facilitating the revitalisation of Bunbury’s waterfront with our recent work on the Koombana North precinct. Koombana North will act as the southern termination of the existing Bunbury Waterfront area and will serve as the key gateway to the existing Bunbury CBD, via Koombana Drive.
Taylor Burrell Barnett has provided a full suite of planning services to DevelopmentWA, with the preparation of a request to amend the Greater Bunbury Regional Scheme to reflect the framework established via the Ministerial Taskforce process. Following the announcement by the State Government that a $20.3m funding strategy for the project (including Marston North site) had been approved, we prepared and facilitated the approval of a comprehensive Structure Plan that maintains development flexibility and enshrines positive public realm and equity outcomes.
A key feature of the Structure Plan preparation and negotiation process was the formation of a Technical Advisory Group (TAG) consisting of the Department of Planning, City of Bunbury and DevelopmentWA. The TAG process enabled issues to be identified and addressed quickly and facilitated the rapid approval of the Structure Plan without public opposition. This was a particularly satisfying achievement for the project team, given the previous public contentiousness of development in this area.
Subdivision approval has been received and earthworks have occurred, with the project's signature site, Lot 1, presently for sale. Taylor Burrell Barnett has also prepared detailed Design Guidelines to ensure high quality future built form outcomes within this landmark precinct.
- Five mixed use Development Sites, with maximum building heights of four to six stories;
- Provision for ground floor activation, via opportunities for retail and commercial development;
- Development of a high quality, pedestrian-orientated public realm for the benefit of the wider Bunbury community, visitors and tourists and residents alike;
- Enhancement of the existing Koombana Bay and Plug foreshore areas, with provision for active and passive recreation opportunities;
- High amenity residential development on upper levels, that capitalises on the high natural and functional amenity of the subject site;
- Provision for the possible future Perth to Bunbury railway, immediately adjacent to the subject site;
- Creation of a visually attractive and iconic built form and landscape gateway to the existing Bunbury CBD; and
- Connection of the proposed development with the Bunbury CBD and existing Marlston Waterfront development area.
|Koombana North Project Area||1.2686 ha|
|Development Site yield||5|
|Estimated number of dwellings||121|
|Estimated population (assuming 1.8 persons per dwelling)||217|
|Estimated possible Non-Residential (Retail and Commercial) floor space||3735m2 NLA|
|Estimated possible Food and Beverage Retail floor space||280m2 NLA|
|Proposed Local Open Space (%)||1635m2 (12.9%)|
Learn more about the Bunbury Outer Harbour Project here